Sicilianesca is what happens when a Siciliana sauce and a Puttanesca sauce have a vegetarian love child (READ: NO ANCHOVIES).
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, sliced in to halves
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- pinch sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat a large, deep skillet on medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Add garlic and onion, lightly sautéing for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is SLIGHTLY tanned. (*I emphasize the "SLIGHTLY" because we don't want crunchy, tan-mom garlic.*)
- Stir in remaining oil, pine nuts and tomatoes. Cover and reduce heat to low, allowing tomatoes to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add capers, olives, salt and pepper. Cover and allow sauce to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring periodically. (*if you\'re feeling sassy, feel free to add a pinch of red pepper flakes to spice things up a bit!*)
- Slowly mix in with your favorite pasta (I used Farfelle!) and garnish with a few sprigs of arugula!